Rutgers School of Health Professions
Physician Assistant Program
The purpose of the BA/MS Combined Degree Program is to offer undergraduates an opportunity to enter the PA Program prior to their college graduation. The program is a 3+3 program with the first three years spent as an undergraduate and the last three years spent in the professional graduate program.
In order to qualify, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- ·They must be currently enrolled in their fourth term (semester) at the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS)
- ·At a minimum, they must be enrolled for one year at RU-NB, earning 30 credits
- ·Students must have a minimum science and overall GPA of 3.2
- ·They must have completed, with a grade of “C” or better, at least one term of English (3 credits must be composition), Applied Statistics or Biostatistics (from Psychology, Biology or Math departments), General Biology I and II with lab, General Chemistry I and II with lab, Organic Chemistry I (If the student accepts AP credit, additional science courses will be required to calculate a science GPA) and General Psychology
Patient Contact Experience: Patient contact is required. The Program has not established a minimum number of hours of healthcare experience, but the most competitive applicants will be able to document experience working directly with patients. Examples of the types of experiences that are recommended include, but are not limited to, medical assistants, nursing assistants/aides, nurses, EMTs, patient care technicians, physical therapy assistants, etc.
PA Shadowing: PA shadowing is required. It is important that applicants spend time with PAs to ensure a sufficient understanding of the PA role in the delivery of healthcare. Therefore, applicants to the PA Program must be able to demonstrate familiarity with the PA profession through direct experience. This can be accomplished by either shadowing PAs in practice or working alongside PAs.
Volunteerism: Service to the community is one of the program’s core values. The program seeks students who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to their community by volunteering. The most competitive applicants have consistently volunteered, not only to gain healthcare experience, but because they are passionate about a particular cause, organization, or underserved population.
Accepted students must have:
- ·All general education requirements in The School of Arts and Sciences completed by the end of the 3rd year. If majoring in anything other than Biological Sciences, all major (and minor) requirements must be completed by the end of their third undergraduate year because, if accepted into the program, students may not take undergraduate courses during their 4th year (first year in the PA program).
- ·A minimum overall 3.2 GPA during their undergraduate years.
- ·Any summer course(s) completed before mid-August when the PA courses begin
Application packets can be downloaded off the website: http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/primary_care/paweb/admissions/application.html . Deadline for applications is June 1st.
For more information, please visit http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/primary_care/paweb/about/dual.html
To view the BA/MS Admissions Requirements, please visit http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/primary_care/paweb/admissions/index.html#BAMS