Rutgers, The State University of NJ
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM)
The purpose of the BA/DMD Combined Degree Program is to permit highly qualified students to complete the required courses for both Baccalaureate and dental degrees in a seven-year sequence. The Program consists of three years of undergraduate study (BA degree) at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (RU) and four years of study in the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree program at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM). Students apply to this program at the end of their sophomore year at Rutgers.
Benefits for students accepted into the program include:
- Students will have a conditional, early acceptance to RSDM (see grade and DAT requirements below).
- Students will pay undergraduate tuition for three years + 4 years tuition at RSDM, thus saving one year of undergraduate tuition and fees.
- The courses taken in dental school will complete the major in Biological Sciences or Cell Biology and Neuroscience, in addition to the dental degree requirements.
Qualified applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They must be matriculated students who are in their fourth semester, or have earned a minimum of 60 degree credits. Note, applicants with an Associate’s Degree, regardless of whether it was earned as a dual degree in high school or as a traditional degree after high school, are ineligible to apply for the program.
- At a minimum, transfer students must be enrolled for one year at RU-NB earning 30 credits.
- They must have earned and maintain a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.5 at Rutgers.
- They must have completed at least two semesters of General Biology with lab (please see note below), two semesters of General Chemistry with lab, two semesters of Organic Chemistry, Calculus I and II (or Calculus I + Statistics 379 or 401), and one semester of English (please see note below).
- AP Credit: It is important to note, if AP English was granted for English, upper-level English at Rutgers is required with the same amount of credit work; additionally, If AP or transfer credit was granted for General Biology, two other upper-level biology courses (200-level or higher) must be taken at Rutgers University.
- Applicants should have no withdrawals or incomplete grades in any RSDM prerequisites.
Prior to matriculation at the dental school (in your third, undergraduate year), BA/DMD students must complete two semesters of General Physics and labs, Organic Chemistry lab, and a second English must be completed
If conditionally admitted, students are required to take and submit to the RSDM Office of Admissions their Dental Admission Test (DAT) scores by January 1 of their third year at Rutgers; Only ONE DAT attempt is allowed. BA/DMD students must achieve at least a 20 as their Academic Average, 20 Total Science (SNS), 20 Organic Chemistry, 20 General Chemistry, and 20 Biology, but the scores are not necessarily sufficient to guarantee admission.