The mission of the Rutgers Health Professions Office is to serve current students, alumni, and post-baccalaureate students of the schools of Rutgers, New Brunswick who are interested in pursuing a career within the health professions. While the majority of our students hope to become physicians or dentists, we also advise students who wish to pursue other careers within health care. We seek to use collaborative advising to empower students to create and implement academic and extracurricular plans that integrate their professional goal of becoming a health care provider with the university’s threefold mission of education, research, and service. The purpose of registering with HPO is to allow advisors access to your records, to have a place to store letters of recommendation for medical or dental school and summer programs, and to have access to the HPO mailing list and HPOdrome. Currently enrolled Rutgers - New Brunswick students can request to open a file and stop by the office anytime Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm. We provide advising for students interested in all health professions but we can only store letters for future application to medical and dental school because application services for other types of health professions will only accept letters directly from the recommenders.
Our services include:
- Individual advising beginning with academic orientation, through graduation, and beyond.
- Information via our mailing list, website, social media sites, presentations, and collaboration with student groups and other university departments.
- Resources for exploring the wide variety of careers within the health professions.
- Resources for finding, and obtaining volunteer, clinical, and research opportunities.
- A letter storage and processing service for students applying to medical and dental school.
Current students and alumni are encouraged to register with our office during their first semester and to meet with an adviser at least once a year. For an advising appointment (half-hour, for current students and recent alumni only), please log on to HPO Live Chat.