This program is designed for high-achieving premedical students of Rutgers University who are in their sophomore year. Accepted students will be expected to complete all Rutgers core requirements by the end of their junior year. In their senior year, students will take the complete first year curriculum at RWJ Medical School. Students will receive RU credit for select medical school courses toward completion of their major and elective credit toward their undergraduate degree.
Benefits of the program include:
- Students will have a conditional, early-acceptance to Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (please see grade requirements below).
- Students will pay only for three years of tuition at Rutgers + 4 years tuition at RWJMS.
- Credits for some classes taken during the first year at the medical school will count toward both the MD and the BA/BS degrees.
To apply, students must have completed the following criteria:
- They must have completed 4 semesters of college, with a minimum of 60 credits.
- As a minimum, they must be enrolled for one year at RU-NB, earning 30 credits.
- They must have earned and maintain a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.5 at Rutgers.
- Two semesters of General Biology with lab, two semesters of General Chemistry with lab, two semesters of Organic Chemistry (lab may be taken in the Junior year), one semester of college-level Mathematics, and one semester of English.
- If AP or transfer credit was granted for General Biology, two other upper-level biology courses (200-level courses or higher) must be taken at Rutgers University.
- Matriculation into the medical school is conditional upon meeting additional requirements in the junior and senior year.
The application can be obtained at the Health Professions Office on your campus and, without exception, must be submitted by May 31st. In addition to the application, a minimum of 5 letters of recommendation from Rutgers faculty must be submitted on behalf of the applicant to the HPO office. These must include a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty members in science or mathematics courses and a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty in non-science courses. Recommendations from teaching assistants are acceptable.
For more information about the program, please visit the Rutgers Health Professions Office website at http://hpo.rutgers.edu/special-programs/ba-md-rwj, call 848/445-5667 or stop in Room A207 of Nelson Labs.