Continued Matriculation in the Program
- Accepted students will be required to take one year of biology, chemistry, and physics work at Rutgers (without repeating previous coursework).
- Accepted students must take at least 21 credits at Rutgers in order to receive the full support of the Health Professions Committee and to be considered for the Fast-track program.
- It is strongly recommended that accepted students take one semester full time.
- Students must maintain a competitive GPA. Please note, students will be reviewed at the end of each year.
If you do not meet the requirements of Rutgers Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program, we suggest that you visit http://www.services.aamc.org/postbac. They have a searchable database of postbac programs nationwide (and some of the programs, unlike ours, are designed to enhance poor science grades, they are referred to as Academic Record-Enhancers.) Click here for complete requirements for application to the program, the application itself and other important information.
Postbaccalaureate Premedical Fast-Track Option
Information on Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Fast-Track Programs with UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School for prospective students
Students who wish to apply through the fast-track option must be nominated by the director of the Postbac program. They cannot apply independently. The following requirements must be met in order to be considered for eligibility:
* Postbaccalaureate GPA of 3.6
* 2 semesters of General Biology with lab
* 2 semesters of General Chemistry with lab
* 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry with lab
* 2 semesters of General Physics with lab
* 1 semester of Biochemistry
* 2 semesters of English or writing intensive courses (courses from previous undergraduate course work may be eligible to fulfill this requirement)
* 2 semesters of Math beyond Pre-Calculus (courses from previous undergraduate course work may be eligible to fulfill this requirement). One of these courses must be Statistics.
* A minimum of 21 credits at Rutgers in the Postbaccalaureate program
* Additional coursework in psychology and/or sociology (courses from previous undergraduate course work may be eligible to fulfill this requirement)
* PreHealth Committee Statement with supporting letters of recommendation
Students who meet the above requirements and are interested in the fast-track option begin the application process in February, usually in their second year of the program but should be in regular contact with the director of the postbac program to discuss their progress toward fast-track application.
Current Student Information and Application Timeline
Information on the Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Fast-Track Programs with RWJMS and NJMS for students already enrolled in the post-bacc program. It is important that you meet with the director of the post-bacc program (Dr. Vogel) regularly to discuss your progress.