Alumni Shadowing/Mentoring Program
As you can imagine, Rutgers alumni can be found throughout this country and others. Some of the alumni have agreed to participate in the Alumni Shadowing Program to either give a presentation about their path to becoming a health professional (watch for announcements on our Listserv). Others will offer you a brief externship experience in their field. Still others will mentor you either virtually or in person.
Due to the relatively small number of doctors/dentists currently participating, we currently limit the externships/mentoring to matriculating RU-NB Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors with the following credentials:
- At least a 3.0 Overall and HPOdrome Science GPA; with at least 1 completed semester if you are a transfer student
- At least one semester of Organic Chemistry with a grade of B or better
- An HPO file
- An uploaded current resume on the HPOdrome
How can I apply?
- Step 1) Read the attached slideshow (in fact, this will be useful for any shadowing/volunteering experience) (click here for Powerpoint slideshow)
- Step 2) Go to your HPOdrome Profile Page to upload your resume (Note, your shadowing request will not be processed until a resume is uploaded.)
- Step 3) Go to the “Enroll in Shadowing” link (also located on your HPOdrome Profile Page), read and agree to the Terms and Conditions, and then proceed to make your selection of 3 choices.
- Step 4) Carefully read each of the opportunity descriptions you have selected. Make sure that you are available for any specific days/times of the week required for the opportunity and/or will have no issues with transportation to the locations listed for those opportunities.
- Step 5) Hit the submit button
What happens next?
- Step 1) Your application will automatically be submitted to the HPO.
- Step 2) If you meet all the criteria list above, the status of your request will be changed to “Approved”.
- Step 3) It may take 1-2 weeks (sometimes a little more if the doctor is very busy) for us to reach the doctor. Once the doctor approves, you will be contacted, by the HPO regarding how to proceed (this may vary among doctors). Your status will be changed to “Active”.
- Step 4) When you are done, please let us know so that we can assign another student and change your status to “Complete”.
Senior Program Coordinator
Rutgers Health Professions Office
A207 Nelson Biological Labs
848/445-5667 (HPO Office)