Rutgers Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health program is appropriate for career changers. It is not a record enhancing program. The program serves students who hold a bachelor's degree and wish to apply to medical or dental school but who did not take the pre-med/pre-dent requirements as part of their undergraduate degree.
Students accepted into the program receive priority registration consideration for the basic, required science courses. Qualified students may also apply for fast track acceptance programs to either NJMS in Newark or with Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick. Students accepted into the program may utilize the full array of services available through the Rutgers Health Professions Office, including electronic file management, personal advising, monthly newsletter, and the committee interview and composite letter of recommendation.
Click here for Post-Bacc FAQs
Requirements for Applicants:
1) Applicants must have earned a Bachelor's degree from an American university or college at the time of application.
- An Undergraduate GPA of no less than 3.2
- Must have completed the prerequisites for basic sciences as required by Rutgers. These include Pre-Calculus and Expository Writing or equivalent.
- Must submit unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Upon acceptance, official transcripts will be required.
2) Applicants must have some recent experience in the medical/dental field at the time of application. This can include volunteer work, shadowing, or paid employment.
3) Applicants must submit a minimum of one (maximum of 2) letters of recommendation from professors, employers, and/or shadowing/volunteer experiences.
4) Applicants should have recent community service experience at the time of application. This can include, but is not limited to, volunteer work in a medical setting.
Applications will be accepted October 1st through December 13th.
Interviews for qualified candidates will be held in January.
Accepted candidates will be notified in February.
Continued Matriculation in Program:
- Accepted students will be required to take the standard premedical requirement at Rutgers (without repeating previous coursework). See http://hpo.rutgers.edu/faqs
- Accepted students must take at least 21 credits in science at Rutgers in order to receive the full support of the Health Professions Committee and to be considered for the Fast-track Program.
- It is strongly recommended that accepted students plan to include at least 1 full time semester (12 credits or more) in their program.
- Students must maintain a competitive GPA. Please note, students will be reviewed at the end of each year.
If you do not meet the requirements of Rutgers Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program, we suggest that you visit https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index. They have a searchable database of postbac programs nationwide (and some of the programs, unlike ours, are designed to enhance poor science grades. They are referred to as Academic Record-Enhancers). Note, if accepted, students are responsible for filing a FAFSA & working with University Financial aid if they require loans to finance their post baccalaureate program.
For an application, click on the following link. Post Bacc Application 2019