Q. Does Rutgers-New Brunswick have a BA/MD program for high school students?

No, Rutgers-New Brunswick's program is open to RU sophomores, there is a program to which high school students can apply at Rutgers-Newark.  For more information about this RU-Newark program, please call 973/353-5205.

Q. Can a county college student apply to the Rutgers-New Brunswick BA/MD program?

After completing their sophomore year at Rutgers - New Brunswick.

Q. Which school should I attend, SAS or SEBS?

This office serves students from both School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, and students from both schools are accepted into medical/dental schools each year. Ultimately, your degree will be awarded from Rutgers University, and each year our admission statistics reveal that a BA/BS from Rutgers University is held in high esteem nationwide.

There are some differences between the schools as far as majors offered, degree requirements, and living arrangements. Applicants are encouraged to visit Rutgers University's website to find out more.

Q. Which classes are required by medical/dental schools?

  • General Biology with lab
  • General Chemistry with lab
  • Organic Chemistry with lab
  • General Physics with lab
  • Two semesters of college-level math (see below for more information about math)
  • Two semesters of college-level English

NOTE:  Given recent changes to the MCAT,  premedical students are encouraged to take one semester of each:  Biochemistry, Psychology, Sociology and Statistics. (See an HPO advisor for specific course selections.)

Q. What if I accept AP credit for some of the required classes?

If you accept AP credit for General Biology, we recommend that you take upper-level courses to demonstrate your facility with the subject. Admissions Officers are aware that AP class can vary greatly between high schools and they need to see what type of science student you are. After all, every one of your classes in medical/dental school will be science courses, and you need to demonstrate that you will be able to handle all the work.

Q. What should I major in?

We encourage students to major in the subject that interests them the most. Students majoring in fields other that biology are strongly encouraged to take some additional science courses (see other recommended courses above), and they are encouraged to meet with a prehealth advisor.

Q. Which math classes should I take?

Medical/Dental schools require two semesters, or 8 credits, of college-level math (100-level or beyond). Which math courses are required actually depends upon the student's major. We suggest that you visit the departmental advisor for your major, or intended major, or the departmental website for details. Non-science majors with no math requirement could fulfill the requirement by taking one semester each of Pre-Calculus and another math or by obtaining a Math Placement Score high enough to place them into Calculus and then a semester of math.

Q. Which English classes must I take?

Rutgers offers students many different options as far as English is concerned. In fact, many, if not all, of the schools have an approved Writing Skills List. The courses on this list have been approved by the fellows of the school as having a significant-enough reading and writing component that they satisfy the school's requirement for a second English course.

Most of the health-professional schools will accept these courses in place of a second course offered by the English or Literature department.

Q. Does it matter which Physics courses I take (ex. Physics for the Sciences vs. General Physics)?

The following courses are “equivalent” for purposes of academic credit:

750:193 Physics for the Sciences
750:201 Extended General Physics
750:203 PLUS 750:205 General  Physics
750:271 PLUS 750:275 Honors Physics
750:123-124 Analytical Physics  1A, 1B
750:115-116 Extended Analytical  Physics
750:161 Elements of Physics (same as 203+205-1st term  Lecture + Lab)

The following courses are “equivalent” for purposes of academic credit:

750:194 Physics for the Sciences
750:202 Extended General Physics
750:204 PLUS 750:206 General Physics
750:272 PLUS 750:276 Honors Physics
750:227 PLUS 750:229 Analytical Physics

Please note that students are allowed to switch from one sequence to another.  So a student could take 193 followed by 204/206 or a student could take 123-124 followed by 227/229.  These courses are ”equivalent “ in the sense that they cover the same topics.  However, they are taught at different levels of difficulty because they are aimed at different audiences.  So for example, 271 (Honors Physics I) is significantly more advanced than 203 (General Physics I), even though they cover the same topics.

Q. Can I take any of the required classes over the summer?

As a general rule, we do not recommend taking any of the required science courses over the summer. Medical/Dental schools need to see that you can handle the work during a regular semester with a normal course load. It is the only way they have of predicting whether or not you would be able to successfully handle the coursework at their school which will include multiple science courses at one time.

If you have fallen behind on your requirements, meet with an advisor. They will be happy to help you devise a schedule to help meet your goals.

Q. Can I take any of the required classes elsewhere?

  • Never split up a two-semester sequence (even between Rutgers main campuses). The courses may be presented differently.
  • Do not take your science requirements at a junior, community college.
  • Do not take your science requirements over the summer.

Q. What happens if I must Withdraw from a class?

One "W" will not destroy your chances of getting into medical school. What admissions officers are looking for are applicants who have developed a pattern of "W's" and light credit loads.