Rutgers, The State University of NJ
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
The purpose of the BA/DMD Combined Degree Program is to permit highly qualified students who are in their sophomore year to complete the required courses for both Baccalaureate and dental degrees in a seven-year sequence. The Program consists of three years of undergraduate study (BA degree) at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (RU) and four years of study in the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree program at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (RSDM).
Benefits of the program include:
- Students will have a conditional, early acceptance to RSDM (please see grade and DAT requirements below)
- Students will pay undergraduate tuition for three years + 4 years tuition at RSDM, thus saving one year of undergraduate tuition and fees.
- The courses taken in dental school will complete the major in Biological Sciences or Cell Biology and Neuroscience, in addition to the dental degree requirements
To apply, students must meet the following criteria:
- They must be matriculated students who are in their fourth semester, or have earned a minimum of 60 degree credits
- At a minimum, the must be enrolled for one year at RU-NB earning 30 credits
- They must have earned and maintain a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.5 at Rutgers
- They must have completed at least two semesters of General Biology with lab, two semesters of General Chemistry with lab, two semesters of Organic Chemistry, Calculus I and II (or Calculus I + Statistics 379 or 401), and one semester of English. Two semesters of General Physics and labs, Organic Chemistry lab, and a second English must be completed prior to matriculation at the dental school
- If AP or transfer credit was granted for General Biology, two other upper-level biology courses (200-level or higher) must be taken at Rutgers University
- Once in the program, students will be required to take the Dental Admission Test (DAT) by January 1st of their third year at Rutgers and achieve at least a 20 as their Academic Average and Total Science (SNS) score
The application can be obtained at the Health Professions Office and, without exception, must be submitted by May 31st. In addition to the application, a minimum of 4 letters of recommendation from Rutgers faculty must be submitted on behalf of the applicant to the HPO office. These must include a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty members in science or mathematics courses and a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty in non-science courses. Recommendations from teaching assistants are acceptable.
For more information, please call 848/445-5667 or visit the Health Professions Office web site at http://hpo.rutgers.edu or stop in Room A207 of Nelson Labs.